Brussels Office Stagiaire
Glenis Willmott is looking for an enthusiastic and committed stagiaire (intern) to work in her office in the European Parliament in Brussels.
The salary will be paid in Euros, in line with the starting pay grade of a Parliamentary Assistant.
The post is to start at the end of August 2014, and will end on 17 July 2015, but is dependent on Glenis being re-elected in May 2014.
This stage will give the successful applicant the opportunity to gain highly valuable work experience and provide an insight into the internal operation of the European Parliament as well as the work of Glenis Willmott and the other Labour MEPs. The successful applicant will work alongside Glenis and her existing staff.
• Supporting Glenis’ legislative and other work in Brussels
• Helping to manage the Brussels and Strasbourg diaries
• Researching & responding to constituency casework
• Media monitoring on issues relevant to Glenis’ work
• Drafting briefings, articles, parliamentary questions and letters on a range of issues
• Organising and welcoming visitors to the office
• Dealing with all communications to the office, including telephone calls, emails, faxes and mail
• Liaising with and supporting other members of staff in Brussels & the UK
• Other general administrative tasks as required
The following attributes are essential:
• Committed to the aims and values of the Labour Party
• An understanding of the EU legislative process and the role of MEPs
• A university degree
• Strong organisational, administrative, inter-personal and communication skills, and fully computer literate
• Strong writing skills
• Ability to fit in with the demands of work in the European Parliament, to adapt to new areas of work, and willing to travel as and when required to Strasbourg and the UK
• Ability to keep confidences, be reliable, conscientious and loyal
• Ability to work independently and in a small team
• Enjoy working in a multicultural environment
The following attributes would be useful but are not essential:
• Good French and/or other EU language
• Good university degree in a relevant subject
• Postgraduate degree or other relevant qualifications
• Some relevant professional experience
• Knowledge of Glenis’ work, and the work of Labour MEPs as a whole
• Knowledge, understanding, and recent experience of Labour politics, including any work for a Labour politician
• Knowledge of the East Midlands Region
• Campaigning experience
• Trade Union membership
• Labour Party membership
Please apply by email by 25 April 2014 to andrew.flagg(at)ep.europa.eu with
*Your name* Stagiaire Application
in the subject line.
Please attach to the email:
• an up to date CV
• a covering letter (maximum 2 sides) explaining how you fit the person description above, with particular reference to any experience or knowledge of the work of Labour MEPs
• contact details of two referees
Short-listed candidates will be required to pass a telephone interview and written test before being invited for a face to face interview.
Please note that this job opportunity relies entirely on the outcome of the European elections. Therefore the final interviews will take place at the beginning of June, if Glenis is re-elected. If you are invited for a face to face interview, these will be held in Glenis’ constituency office in Attenborough, Notts. Interviews can also be arranged in Brussels for applicants already based there.