Glenis Willmott is looking for an enthusiastic and committed Assistant to work in her UK office near Nottingham.
This is a one year fixed term post from summer 2014 with start and end dates to be agreed, and is dependent on Glenis being re-elected in May 2014. Salary will be £18,000 p.a. paid monthly
Although the post will be based in the UK office, some travel around the East Midlands may be required from time to time, for which expenses will be reimbursed.
Hours will normally be 9.30 to 5.00 (Monday to Friday). However, out of hours working will be required from time to time, with time off in lieu granted.
- General support for the work of the MEP around the region, assisting other staff as required.
- Communications with constituents, including media work.
- Researching constituency casework.
- Assisting with issue based campaigns.
- Drafting briefings on a range of issues.
- Liaison with other groups and organisations.
- Dealing with visitors to the office, and answering the telephone.
- Assisting Office Manager in the UK.
- Assisting Brussels-based staff.
- Other tasks that may be required from time to time.
The following attributes are essential
- Committed to the aims and values of the Labour Party, and be willing to join if not already a member
- Strong organisational, administrative, inter-personal and communication skills, and fully computer literate
- Strong writing skills
- Ability to keep confidences, be reliable, conscientious and loyal
- Ability to work independently and in a small team
- Knowledge, understanding, and recent experience of Labour politics, including any work for a Labour politician
- Campaigning experience
- Have a driving licence or willing to learn to drive
- Be a member of a Trade Union or willing to join
The following attributes would be useful but are not essential
- Good university degree in a relevant subject
- Some relevant professional experience
- An understanding of the EU legislative process and the role of MEPs
- Knowledge of Glenis’ work, and the work of Labour MEPs as a whole
- Knowledge of the East Midlands Region
Please apply by email by 2 May 2014 to email@example.com with “*Your Name* Constituency Assistant Application” in the subject line.
Please attach to the email:
- an up to date CV
- a covering letter (maximum 2 sides) explaining how you fit the person description above, with particular reference to any experience or knowledge of the work of Labour MEPs or MPs
- contact details of two referees
Short-listed candidates will be required to pass a telephone interview and written test before being invited for a face to face interview.
Please note that this post relies entirely on the outcome of the European elections. Therefore the final interviews will take place at the beginning of June, if Glenis is re-elected. If you are invited for a face to face interview, these will be held in Glenis’ constituency office in Attenborough, Nottingham.